Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Brain Dump


When I think about some of my talents or abilities (aka obsessions & compulsions) there is one thing that comes to mind.

Organization.

I love to organize. I think I get some kind of high out of organizing something whether that be a cluttered closet, a filing cabinet or my Saturday errands. I LOVE getting organized.

Recently I was thinking about how I even organize my brain.

For example today there was SO MUCH going on at work and I felt like the thoughts in my brain were a little out of control. By the end of the day I had so many thoughts floating around that I didn't even know what I needed to get accomplished. So I proceeded to do what I call a "brain dump."

I got a paper and a pen and wrote down all the thoughts in my head. I listed everything that was on my list of "to do's." I referenced my email for a reminder of to do items and transferred all my many sticky notes to one large consolidated list.

Once on paper it is much easier to prioritize and decide what needs doing first. I like doing this at the end of the day when it feels like my brain has gotten a bit cluttered. Doing a brain dump at the end of the day helps me unwind and have a prioritized list of things to begin with the next day.

So if your feeling a little cluttered up top do a brain dump.

2 comments:

Jared and Jessica said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh my gosh. I swear you are my long lost twin. Haha. I do the EXACT same thing, and pretty frequently. When there are too many things going on in my head, I don't know what to focus on and I have no direction as to where and how to get started. Miserable. When my husband sees my super long lists of things to do, he gets overwhelmed. Haha. But for me, once it's written down, I feel much more stress-free.

Katie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for the tip! :) You realize where you get this right??? You are a Lightfoot!! Grandma Lightfoot was that way, your mom is that way, my dad was that way... It's just in our genes. It can be a good thing and a bad thing. :) I am definitely trying your strategy!! :) love ya.