Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Humbled

I was asked to work on a project that required me to go through about 200 pieces of coverage (news articles). Of course my initial reaction was not exactly "Yippee!" but I found some determination and went to work. I worked from about 8:30 to 1:00 and then finished up the rest after lunch and ended around 3:00. I actually made pretty good time and felt good about my accomplishment.

I wasn't given all the articles however. A portion of them were given to someone else. I wasn't told who they were given to but all I knew was that I wasn't going to be able to do it all myself. When it was all said and done I was somewhat curious as to who did the rest of the articles thinking that we could commiserate together a little.

Today I returned some of the hard copy articles to the partner that had asked for my help. When I handed him the stack he made the comment that this was only a small part of the rest of the stack. I took this as my opportunity to find out who he had gotten to go through the rest of the articles.

His response..."I did and also another one of our partners went through a few too."

At that moment I felt about two inches tall. Here I was feeling all picked on and one of the "big wigs," the "top dogs," the "head honchos" had done the SAME work that I had done. I walked out of that office so grateful to be working for a company who employs individuals, including those at the top, that work hard everyday.

I made a commitment to have a better attitude when a not so glamorous project comes my way. A little hard work never hurt anyone.

1 comments:

Rachel Lacy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Good job, I'm proud of you. A little hard, tedious, work never hurt anyone is right!