Sunday, May 20, 2012

3 Significant Childhood Memories

Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood


I have a really hard time recalling memories from last year let alone my childhood so the fact that these are the memories I can actually remember is a testament that they were significant. 


"Cougars"
One of my fondest memories of my childhood was playing "cougars" with my dad. He would get down on his hands and knees and growl like a cougar and then chase after us. Once we were caught we were in for an intense tickle. We would climb up on dad's back and he would crawl around and give us rides. I can distinctly remember that growl noise he made and it would instantly send us into extreme excitement and anticipation. Even now I use that same growl when I nuzzle up to my little guy. I was so blessed to have a dad who took the time to play with us. 


Camping Trip
When I was younger we often went on camping/fishing trips to a place called Ferrin Reseviour. On one particular camping trip we were high in the mountains a long ways away from any sort of civilization and as a kid it felt even farther away. We were all getting ready to go to bed and in prep for my mom and sister to sleep in our suburban my mom had turned on the car to warm it up a bit before they got in to go to sleep. In the process mom accidentally locked the keys in the car with it still running. This was not good. We were miles and miles from any locksmith. If the car ran out of gas we wouldn't have a way to get off the mountain. As a 10 year old little girl, I found this very frightening. 


We tried a number of things with no luck. Eventually I was sent to go to bed with my siblings in tow. Before we laid down I gathered my siblings around to have a prayer. I asked Heavenly Father to help us get back into our car and to bring us peace and comfort. As I laid down my brain started clicking, I remembered that in the very back of the suburban there was a switch to unlock the back doors and that it was probably easier to get through those doors than through a side window (which were all rolled up tight). I finally crawled out of my sleeping bag and went and suggested it to my dad. We rounded up a hot dog skewer  and our friend Curtis Madsen was the one who was finally successful in getting the hot dog skewer into the car and hitting the unlock button. We were in! I am sure my parents would have figured things out on their own but the experience was a great lesson to me. Not only did testimony grow of the power of prayer but that even as a young child I could receive revelation from Heavenly Father to help me in times of need. 


Baptism
Another prominent memory I have from my childhood was the day I was baptized. I remember a lot of details about that day. I remember practicing how to be immersed with my dad prior to my baptism. I remember getting out and being all wet and finding out that my dad forgot to bring a dry white shirt to change into. Thankfully we lived basically across the street from the church so it wasn't too difficult to get one to the church in time. I remember wearing a pretty yellow dress with flowers all over it for my confirmation. I remember the moment I heard the words "receive the holy ghost" I felt warm all over and a happiness filled my body that I had never experienced before. I remember feeling so clean and holy. I remember finding a quiet place in our house amidst all the guests to write in my journal some of my thoughts and feelings from the day. I was so grateful to be the newest member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I wanted so badly to do everything right so that I could always feel this good. Obviously I learned lessons later as to why the Atonement is so important. My baptism was a day that I will never forget. It was my first step on the path back to my Heavenly Father and deep down in my heart I knew I was going the right way. 

0 comments: