Monday, September 8, 2008

Blessings for Blisters

This Sunday was my wards stake conference and so I made a special effort to come back from Kaysville to attend. I didn't get the greatest start because I woke up late and I will be honest I heard the alarm the first time, the second time, and also the third so I would be lying if I said that it was an accident that I didn't leave my house at 9:00. It takes an hour to get to Provo and conference started at 10:00 so I definitely going to be late. I arrived in Provo right at 10:00 and had to hurry and throw on a dress and then make my way to the Marriot Center.

I just need to remind everyone that I don't know Provo, I don't know the tricks, I barely know how to get from my apt to work and from work back to my apt. That is the extent of my Provo knowledge. Luckily I had previously been to the Marriot Center and was able to find it just fine...the problem came once I found it. All you long term Provo residents will laugh at the fact that I thought that I was going to get a parking spot at the Marriot Center and I didn't. I drove all the way down to the creamery on 9th East for those who are familiar with Provo that is a REALLY long ways away from the Marriot Center.

I found a sole parking spot and then began my HIKE to the Marriot Center in shoes that are definitely not condusive for HIKING! Within 5 minutes I had 3 blisters on my toes and every step was very painful! I made it within 100ft of the Marriot Center, taking the long way, I unforunately found out later, before I ran into a group of boys walking the other direction. They asked if I was going to the Marriot Center and of course I replied that I was and they proceeded to tell me that the Marriot Center was full. What I thought was a stake conference was actually a region conference making the gathering a much bigger deal and involving A LOT more people. Needless to say I was a little frustrated at the fact that I had just walked a bazillion miles in heels to get to the now FULL Marriot Center.

I decided to ignore the boys and try to get into the Marriot Center anyway, mostly because I didn't know what else to do. I didn't know where I would go to have church if I didn't attend my "stake conference." When I got inside people were sitting on the floor watching the televisions outside of the actual auditorium. I figured that I would just have to be ok with sitting on the ground for the next hour and half. After Sister Dibb concluded her talk my legs and behind were completely numb and I decided that I was not sitting on the floor for the rest of the conference. I decided to be brave and see if I could get myself a seat.

I talked to one of the ushers who told me to try portal J because there was some seats that she pointed out to me. I talked to the usher at portal J who was not the most friendly girl. She told me that there were no seats and as I had just seen with my own eyes that there was I asked her why I could see empty seats. Attitude deserves a little attitude back...I was just trying to find a seat for heavens sake she didn't have to be rude about it! She simply said that anyone who had walked down there had come right back up and so I asked if I could at least go try. She consented.

Then I proceeded to descend the gazillion steps to try and find a seat. The first two were "saved" which I thought was a bunch of baloney by this time it was 30 minutes into the conference if there wasn't someone sitting there by now then they shouldn't be saving it! Anyway I got to what looked like the third and final open seat, this seat was about 10 rows up from the bottom facing the pulpit and I asked the girl if she was saving the seat next to her and she said she wasn’t! I was so happy! SWEET VICOTRY! As I sat down I realized that President Packer was speaking and President Uchtdorf was on the stand! This was a big deal and I had just scored an AMAZING seat! So the moral of the story…Blisters=Great Seats!

0 comments: